Monday, January 16, 2012

Poem by Me.

This is a poem I wrote for a seminary project I had to do. I hope you like it.

The Iron Gates

The Iron Gates once called to me,
They beckoned with a grin.
Their deceiving voices whispered,
They held happiness within.

Although The Gates were rusty and bent,
And looked hazardous to the touch,
The Gates reassured and coaxed and allured,
Always promising much.

And so I blindly listened,
Not knowing wrong from right,
I walked to The Gates thinking,
"I'll just keep them in my sight."

But The Iron Gates were clever,
So as to not cause an alarm,
They said to simply touch the lock 
Would not be of any harm.

And so I did, thinking it was fine,
As long as I did not go inside.
Besides, The Gates promised "Happiness",
The Iron Gates had lied.

Before I knew it, the lock was gone,
All that was left was a shove,
And The Iron Gates would open,
Along with all Their vows of love.

"Just to peek inside," They said,
"Would not be so bad.
Besides, if you never do,
You'll forever wish you had."

I pushed it open, just a crack,
To see the truth of what They said,
But all I saw was nothing,
I couldn't see where The Iron Gates led.

"Come inside!" They beckoned,
"And everything is yours.
All you have to do is simply,
Walk through the open doors."

As I took a step inside,
To see what I would find,
I knew this was my final chance,
So I stopped and looked behind.

The path I had left was wreathed in light,
The one I was on was black.
In that moment I understood,
I ran never turning back.

The Iron Gates still call to me.
I pass them everyday.
But their voices now hold no appeal,
So I turn and walk away. 

~Michaela Labit

2 comments:

Treble Clef ♪ said...

As I've said before you are an excellent writer and this poem was beautiful. I also liked your fine talk in Church this past Sunday.

Cookie Doe said...

Love this Michaela...